Do I have an alcohol or drug problem?
Ask yourself the following questions, and answer them truthfully.
- Do you lose time from work due to drinking/drug use?
- Is drinking/drug use making your home life unhappy?
- Do you drink/use drugs because you are shy with other people?
- Is drinking/drug use affecting your reputation?
- Have you ever felt remorse after drinking/drug use?
- Have you ever experienced financial difficulties as a result of drinking/drug use?
- Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking/using drugs?
- Does drinking/drug use make you careless about your family’s welfare?
- Has your ambition decreased since beginning to drink/use drugs?
- Do you crave a drink/drugs at the same time every day?
- Do you want a drink/drugs the next morning?
- Does drinking/drug use cause you to have difficulty sleeping?
- Has your efficiency decreased since drinking/using drugs?
- Is drinking/drug use jeopardizing your job or business?
- Do you drink/use drugs to escape from worries or trouble?
- Do you drink/use drugs alone?
- Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking/drug use?
- Has a physician ever treated you for drinking/drug use?
- Do you drink or use drugs to build up your self-confidence?
- Have you ever been in a hospital or institiution on account of drinking/drug use?
- If you answered NO to all of these questions, your alcohol/drug use is under control.
- If you answered YES to any ONE of these questions, this is a definite warning that your alcohol/drug use may be becoming problematic. Take a closer look at your lifestyle.
- If you answered YES to any TWO questions, chances are your life is being adversely affected due to your alcohol/drug use. Consider getting help.
- If you answered YES to THREE OR MORE questions, your alcohol/drug use is causing problems in your life, and should be taken very seriously. Get help now by calling KeySolutions EAP. We can refer you to a top treatment center in the area.
If you feel that you are in crisis, or are having thoughts about hurting yourself or others, please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency room immediately.